While we have the best intentions to slow down and not let busy lives overcome our wellbeing, inevitably there are times when we all feel overstretched and overworked!
The reality of first starting SIÓG in 2020 while working full-time and raising young children was at times a little overwhelming! There was so much we didn't know or understand yet about starting a business. Thankfully self-belief and our lifelong friendship helped us to support eachother and to get through the tough times. Now further along in our journey, we have the ability to look back and reflect on the things that helped us along the way.
Given the demands on us all living in this busy world, we know that we are by no means alone in this regard! And so we thought we'd share some of the small things that kept us together from day to day...
- Deep breathing - The first one is simple, but effective - when you feel stress and panic building, take slow, deep breaths.
- A luxury bath - When time allows, escape for a soak in a warm bath. Use bath salts, essential oils and light a candle (we recommend organic lavender) and some dried lavender or rose petals for the complete experience.
- Listen to soothing music, we recommend this calming instrumental covers playlist on Spotify.
- Practice mindful meditation. The goal of mindful meditation is to focus your attention on things that are happening right now in the present moment. For example, listen to your body. Is your breathing fast, slow, deep, or shallow? Do you hear noises, such as traffic, or do you hear only silence? The idea is just to note what is happening without trying to change it. Apps like Headspace are a great aid for trying meditation for the first time.
- Journalling - some people feel more relaxed after they write about their feelings. For those whose hearts beat with a Celtic soul, there is the Moon Mná Diary - not only can you journal daily, but there is added space on each entry for daily gratitudes and soul moments. We love it.
- Yoga - great for mind and body. Joanna has just started using a guided app Yoga | Down Dog that's handy if you have a busy schedule and struggle to attend a regular class.
- Aromatherapy - the history of humans using essentials oils like lavender (Lavandula angustifolia) for relaxation can be traced back over 2500 years. Lavender essential oil is widely regarded as an aid to relaxation and sleep, and a few dots on your pillow at night may just help you to wind down and drift off.
Really needed this reminder today! Thank you ❤️
Leave a comment