Have you noticed those fields filled with bright yellow flowers during Summer? This is rapeseed from which we get rapeseed wax!
We're often asked why we use rapeseed wax instead of soy, paraffin or other waxes. Most people don’t even know that you can make candles from rapeseed wax, and assume all natural waxes are soy or beeswax - which most are!
Here are just some of the reasons why rapeseed wax is a great choice for candles:
- Low carbon footprint – rapeseed is grown in Ireland and all across Europe so it is not travelling from other continents to get here
- It does not create harmful toxins like paraffin
- Soot free burn with little waste - no black walls!
- It is non-hazardous for us, our pets or wildlife
- It helps our bees, (and we all love bees), they love the nectar that rapeseed flowers produce
- It feeds our animals
- It is suitable for vegans
- It is sustainable
- It protects our soil
- It is not genetically modified
As well as its obvious eco and green credentials, it smells great when lit and unlit! Rapeseed wax burns at a low temperature so the fragrance evaporates gently from the wax pool rather than being burnt off at a high temperature, which also makes the aroma linger for longer and gives an extended burn time over other natural and mineral based waxes.
So if you care about what you burn in your home, give rapeseed wax a try!